Answers to this quiz.
1. Holiday Inn
2. longing to be up north
3. Fred Astaire or Donald O'Connor. Astaire turned down the role. O'Connor was under contract to make Francis the Talking Mule films and had caught a disease from his mule co-star.
4. Brown v. Board of Education
5. The Nutcracker ballet, which opened in February (!) of that year
6. The film opens on Christmas Eve, 1944, somewhere in the European theatre of WWII
7. Playing Around
8. Carl Switzer, who played Alfalfa in the Our Gang comedies
9. Rosemary Clooney. (Singer Trudy Stevens sang most of Vera Ellen's songs in the movie, but Rosemary Clooney sang both parts in the Sisters number.)
10. 21 inches. Ellen suffered from anorexia, which caused her health problems later in life.
11. Pine Tree, Vermont
12. to count her blessings
13. George Chakiris won the 1961 Academy Award for playing Bernardo in West Side Story.
15. Cruella de Vil in 101 Dalmations