Sunday, March 6, 2011

star quilt: finishing the top

This evening I made a change to my post on homemade fabric starch after more experience with it.

And as for the star quilt, here is what happened today.

First two inner border strips:
And the next two:
The second border:
And at last the star quilt top is finished, after 17 years of false starts and meanderings.
It may disappear from the blog for awhile, while we order fabric for the backing and decide how to use it. If you have experience working with Minky, I'd love to hear from you.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah big congrats! 17 years is a long project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to remember a yellow tied quilt baby quilt you made. Hmm...maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement! The harder part (for me) is still to come, but we'll deal with that later, I guess.

    Anonymous, I don't know who you are so can't be sure about the yellow baby quilt. I certainly have made a few baby quilts, but I haven't made many tied quilts. I wonder which baby it was for...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks AMAZING! Seems like only yesterday you showed me how to make these blocks. I only did one and gave up! So I am amazed you finished!

    I did a baby quilt with minky a few months ago. It was challenging because it stretched A LOT. I just used about a zillion safety pins. I also pinned each row with straight pins as I sewed it. That seemed to help.

    I can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamin, I'm *soo* glad to see your blog back up! And thank you for the Minky advice--very helpful already in calming my fears about it!

    ReplyDelete

Responses from cool people—please be sure to visit their blogs as well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...